Check out the website of Illumos at http://www.illumos.org/
They are making an announcement on August 3rd in New York 1PM EDT and I’m wondering if it’ll be a fork of the OpenSolaris project. This would be great because of how slow the OpenSolaris releases were coming out. Hopefully we’ll have an exciting announcement other than just “we are forking OpenSolaris”. News about the announcement be will on the illumos wiki.
Here are some things I would like to see if they do fork:
- Desktop, server, and “home file server” editions.
- ZFS version updated to the release with deduplication.
- New and improved package manager.
- Easy community involvement with a rockstar community manager.
- Package installations from the website.
- Support service plans.
- Public road map.
that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously, almost all of these will probably not happen but one can dream ;).