I got hold of a Vista laptop that has some weird problems both in the regular boot and the safe mode:
- Uninstalling programs reappear after reboot.
- Installing Windows Updates don’t persist after reboot
- Any changes to the desktop, like creating a folder on the desktop, reverts back after a reboot.
- Can’t change the Date/Time, says “Unable to continue. Yo do not have permission to perform this task. Please contact your computer administrator for help.”
- An endless BSOD when not booting in safe mode. I managed to get rid of this somehow.
- Last updates were in Februrary 2009.
- Last system restores were from February also.
If I load it up on a Ubuntu live cd and mount the drive, I can add stuff to the desktop that will become persistent when I go back into Vista.
I’ve also taken the hard drive out and put it on another desktop and run some root kit/virus scanners on it and they haven’t shown anything. Only thing I can think of is somekind of kernel rootkit that just can’t be detected.
Hopefully, I can get a recovery dvd to return it back to the original factory settings.